Very Basic Year Food Supply

My new years resolution is to get my food storage in order. So I'm going to try to update about a year food supply regularly. The method i'm going to use is start with the bare minimum and work my way up. I'm doing it this way because we can live off of bread for a year, but 1000 cans of cream of chicken may not do the trick. It's all important, but we need a place to start. A basic year supply for one person looks like this:
400 pounds of grain (wheat, flour, rice)
60 pounds of beans
16 pounds powdered milk
10 quarts oil
60 pounds sugar or honey
8 pounds salt
365 mulitivitamins
It costs around $300 to get it all at the cannery right now. I will be taking one section and buying each month so it will take me 6 months to get it for one person. You could break it down even more and get it over a year or just save up the money and buy it all at once. Just start somewhere! 


Comments